NZDF-SERIALS
Australian & New Zealand Military Aircraft Serials & History

RNZAF Gloster Meteor F Mk.III & T.7
NZ6001, WH206 & WL400

     
 

Powered by FreeFind


Site search
Web search
Hosted by:
Integrity Technical Solutions

     
 

Metoer Image Gallery

 
     
 
Serial Aircraft.Type c/n R.A.F. Aircraft history
NZ6001 F Mk.III ? EE395 Previously EE395 this was the first jet aircraft of any sort to arrive in New Zealand and was loaned to the service by the RAF.
Uncrated at Hobsonville on 23 January 1946 and was airborne for the first time at 1035 hours on 12 February 1946 flown by Squadron Leader Bob McKay.
The aircraft was demonstrated throughout the country over the next few months, its first appearance being at Ardmore on 15 February at the farewell parade to No.14 Squadron who were leaving for duty in Japan.
By March 1946 it had acquired it's RNZAF serial number of NZ6001.
Attached to the Central Flying School, Wigram for 2 months from 09 May 1946 to convert the first group of RNZAF instructors to jets. To Central Fighter Establishment, Ohakea in July 1946 where it was used to train over 50 RNZAF pilots.
Last public appearance was at the Otago Centennial Air Show at Taieri on 21 February 1948 after which the aircraft was placed in long term storage at Ohakea.
Purchased from the RAF for 5,000 pounds on 15 March 1950 and became the RNZAF's first jet aircraft.
Final flight was from Ohakea to Whenuapai on 16 September 1950 in the hands of Squadron Leader J. Wenden. Converted to instructional airframe INST147 with the TTS, Hobsonville on 19 September 1950.
Declared surplus in March 1957 and sold by tender to A. Elliot, Onehunga in May 1957.
The engine was sold and the rest of the aircraft melted down.
One Derwent engine from NZ6001 is on display at MOTAT.

Gloster Meteor 
NZ6001
RNZAF Photo

  T.7 ? WH206 Delivered 25 January 1952. With No.219 Squadron RAF.
To No.14 Squadron, Nicosia, Cyprus in October 1952.
Aircraft hired from RAF and stationed in Cyprus 1952-1955 as part of the Middle East Air Force and used for instrument flying practice.
Coded "Z".
Squadron strength of 2 aircraft initially until WH206 was replaced by Vampire T.11 WZ516.
Returned to RAF in November 1953 with No.6 Maintenance Command Communications Squadron and then to Station Flight Khormaksar.
Ran out of fuel and abandoned near Mogadishu, Somaliland on 20 January 1959.
  T.7 ? WL400 Delivered 02 July 1952.
To No.14 Squadron, Nicosia, Cyprus in October 1952.
Aircraft hired from RAF and stationed in Cyprus 1952-1955 as part of the Middle East Air Force and used for instrument flying practice.
Coded "Y".
Squadron strength of 2 aircraft initially until WH206 was replaced by Vampire T.11.
Returned to RAF with Instrument Training Flight, Nicosia in March 1955 and then to Communications Flight Levant.
SOC with RAF on 28 May 1957.

Gloster Meteor WL400 
No.14 "Y" Squadron, 
RNZAF, Nicosia, Cyprus
 via Brendan Cowan

 
     

Author: Ivan Prince and Brendan Cowan.

Sources: AHSNZ publications 1958-1984, http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/13750 , RAF Aircraft WA100-WZ999 by James Halley, AHSNZ Journals 1967.

Emails: Martin Edwards, Brendan Cowan,

Updated 28 January 2014

     

It is our policy to only show historical events, no current operational information will be displayed on this website.
 "The ADF-Serials & NZDF-Serials team give permission to use the content of this page, excluding images, providing that it contains an acknowledgement to the adf-serials team and any other listed sources."