NZDF-SERIALS
Australian & New Zealand Military Aircraft Serials & History

RNZAF Blackburn Baffin
NZ150 to NZ178

     
 

Powered by FreeFind


Site search
Web search
Hosted by:
Integrity Technical Solutions

     
  The Blackburn Baffin was evolved in 1932 as a version of the earlier Ripon torpedo bomber, with a 545 hp Pegasus I.MS engine replacing the Napier Lion engines of the Ripon.

Starting in 1937, a total of 29 Blackburn Baffins, with 565 hp Pegasus I.M3 or 580 hp Pegasus II.M3 engines, were acquired ex-RAF service by the RNZAF and used to equip the newly-formed Territorial Squadrons at Wellington, Christchurch and Auckland, all of which were fully operational by September 1939.

First operations November 16, 1939. The Blackburn Baffin squadrons were merged in March 1940 as the NZ General Reconnaissance Squadron, renamed No 1 GR Squadron in 1941 when half the Baffins were transferred to No 3 GR Squadron.

Twenty-four were operational on the outbreak of war, 16 in Wellington and eight in Christchurch and the first operations November 16, 1939.

On the outbreak of war, these aircraft were utilised as trainers. With the realisation of the threat posed by surface raiders, the RNZAF Baffin was returned to the active list, the survivors being merged in March 1940 as the NZ General Reconnaissance Squadron, renamed 1 GR Squadron in 1941 when half the strength was transferred to 3 GR Squadron.

The surviving Baffins were replaced by Lockheed Hudsons before the outbreak of war with Japan and the last of the Baffins were broken up at Rongotai in 1941.

 
     
 
Serial R.A.F. c/n Aircraft history
NZ150 S1266 ? Originally built as Ripon Mk.II and previously S1266 with Fleet Air Arm.
Served with 811 Squadron coded as "614".
Shipped to New Zealand on "Waiwera" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai 1940.
Crashed into the sea off Onerahi, while on landing approach to Whangarei on 25 June 1940.
Crew were unhurt and salvaged all moveable gear before the full tide covered the aircraft.
Later salvaged but written off and converted to instructional airframe INST29 at Rongotai in early 1940.
NZ151 S1426 2690/3 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1426 with Fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Waiwera" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939-1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ152   2690/7 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1430 with Fleet Air Arm coded "83".
Arrived in Auckland on "Napier Star" in mid November 1937 and barged to Hobsonville for assembly.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
Took off from Wigram at 1210 hours on Monday 05 February 1940 and stalled in a turn at about 700 feet.
Spun into the sea about 500 yards off Waimairi Beach, Christchurch.
Flight Lieutenant Arthur Poulton, AC1 Douglas Haig and AC1 William Strachan killed.
The wreckage of the aircraft was pulled ashore later that evening.
Written off books at Rongotai in 1941 as reduced to produce.
NZ153   3320/6 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1558 with Fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Waiwera" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939.
Crashed into the sea off Island Bay, Wellington after an engine failure at 500 feet on 14 December 1939.
Damaged beyond repair and converted to instructional airframe INST22 with the TTS at Rongotai in 1940.
NZ154   3340/3 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1570 with Fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Waiwera" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville. Coded "N".
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939 until early 1940.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai from March 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ155   3340/6 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1573 with Fleet Air Arm code "524".
Arrived in Auckland on "Napier Star" in mid November 1937 and barged to Hobsonville for assembly.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
First Baffin to fly in New Zealand on 01 February 1938.
Later flown to Wigram for final testing before being delivered to Rongotai in March 1938.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ156   3810/6 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1654 with Fleet Air Arm. S
hipped to New Zealand on "Hertford" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939-1940.
Converted to instructional airframe INST19 with Addington TTC on 04 February 1940.
NZ157   3810/7 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1655 with Fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Waiwera" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939 until early 1940.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai from April 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ158   3810/9 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1657 with Fleet Air Arm.
Served with 811 Squadron coded as "8".
Shipped to New Zealand on "Waiwera" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
At Wigram by September 1938.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ159   4060/2 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1672 with Fleet Air Arm coded "2".
Arrived in Auckland on "Napier Star" in mid November 1937 and barged to Hobsonville for assembly.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
Converted to instructional airframe INST4 at Rongotai in 1940.
NZ160   4060/4 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1674 with Fleet Air Arm coded "5".
Shipped to New Zealand on "Waiwera" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941.
Under restoration?
NZ161   3320/9 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA (converted to Baffin 21 October 1935) and previously S1561 with Fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Hertford" and received at Hobsonville on 15 March 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
At Wigram by September 1938 with No.3 GR Squadron.
Crashed in the Waimakariri River approximately three and a half miles from Harewood on 11 July 1941 after engine failure at one hundred feet during landing approach.
Pilot Officer J. Ward uninjured.
The aircraft had flown 1036:15 hours since purchase by the RNZAF and was written off the books at Harewood as a result of the accident.
NZ162   3330/2 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1563 with Fleet Air Arm.
Served on board HMS Furious coded "17".
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ163   4060/1 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1670 with Fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Hertford" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville. At Wigram 1939.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ164   1850/2 Originally built as Ripon Mk.II and previously S1358 with Fleet Air Arm.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939 until early 1940.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai from March 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ165   1850/8 Originally built as Ripon Mk.II and previously S1364 with Fleet Air Arm.
Arrived in Auckland on "Napier Star" in mid November 1937 and barged to Hobsonville for assembly.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville. At Wigram 1939.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ166   1850/12 Originally built as Ripon Mk.II and previously S1368 with Fleet Air Arm.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
Converted to instructional airframe INST5 with Hillside TTC in 1939.
NZ167   2690/2 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1425 with Fleet Air Arm.
Served with 810 Squadron as "534".
Shipped to New Zealand on "Fordsdale" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville. Coded "F".
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939 until early 1940.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai From March 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ168   2690/8 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1431 with Fleet Air Arm.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
Converted to instructional airframe INST6 with Otahuhu TTC in 1939.
Transferred to the TTS Rongotai in September 1940.
NZ169   3320/1 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1553 with Fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Fordsdale" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939 until early 1940.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai from March 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ170   3320/2 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1554 with Fleet Air Arm.
Served with 810 Squadron as "6".
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
At Wigram June-September 1939.
With New Zealand GR Squadron Whenuapai from April 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ171   3340/4 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIA and previously S1571 with Fleet Air Arm.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville. Coded "S".
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ172   3810/1 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1649 with Fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Waiwera" in 1938. BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
Overturned while landing at New Plymouth in strong winds on 09 August 1938 and badly damaged.
Repaired and returned to service.
Converted to instructional airframe INST7 at Rongotai in 1940.
NZ173   3810/2 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1650 with fleet Air Arm.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Fordsdale" in 1938. BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Whenuapai from April 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ174   3810/5 Originally built as Ripon Mk.IIC and previously S1653 with Fleet Air Arm.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville. Coded "Z".
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939.
With New Zealand GR Squadron at Ohakea from July 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ175   5120/13 Originally built as Ripon Mk.II and converted between November 1933 and January 1934 to Contract 217288/32.
Delivered to Packing Depot on 04 January 1934 as K3558.
To No.812 Squadron Hal Far on 30 January 1934 coded 72.
To No.810 Squadron.
To No.1 Air Support Unit.
To RNZAF on 06 December 1937.
Shipped to New Zealand on "Fordsdale" in 1938.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville. With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939.
Converted to instructional airframe INST16 at Wigram on 08 December 1939.
NZ176   5500/1 Originally built as Baffin to Contract 277109/33 and delivered to No.810 Squadron on 25 June 1934 as K4071.
To Royal Aircraft Establishment on 21 July 1934.
To No.810 Squadron on 09 August 1934.
To Packing Depot on 24 September 1934.
To Middle East on 14 November 1935.
To No.810 Squadron on 31 March 1936 coded 01.
To Gosport Pool on 13 November 1936.
To No.1 ASU.
To RNZAF on 06 December 1937.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ177   5500/8 Originally built as Baffin to Contract 277109/33 and delivered to No.810 Squadron on 12 July 1934 as K4078 coded 08 and later 532.
To Gosport Pool on 17 November 1936.
To No.1 Air Support Unit. To RNZAF on 06 December 1937.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
At Wigram by September 1938.
With New Zealand GR Squadron Whenuapai from April 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off as reduced to produce.
NZ178   5830/2 Originally built as Baffin to Contract 324870/34 and delivered to Packing depot on 11 June 1935 as K4777.
To No.812 Squadron at Hal Far on 09 July 1935.
To Middle East on 14 November 1935.
To No.810 Squadron on 31 March 1936 coded 07 and later 527.
To Gosport Pool on 17 November 1936.
To No.810 Squadron.
To No.2 Air Support Unit.
To RNZAF on 06 December 1937.
BOC with No.1 Aircraft Depot, Hobsonville.
With Wellington GR Squadron at Woodbourne 1939 - early 1940.
With New Zealand GR Squadron Whenuapai from March 1940.
Broken up at Rongotai in 1941 and written off
 
     

Author: Ivan Prince (Updated by Brendan Cowan)

Sources: AHSNZ publications 1966-1989. RNZAF Accident Report 27/12/295 of 18 July 1941. "For Your Tomorrow" by Errol Martyn. RNZAF records. The K File by James Halley.

Emails: Martin Edwards, Brendan Cowan,

Updated 17 December 2013

 

It is our policy to only show historical events, no current operational information will be displayed on this website.
 "The ADF-Serials & NZDF-Serials team give permission to use the content of this page, excluding images, providing that it contains an acknowledgement to the adf-serials team and any other listed sources."